Congress Pays Tribute to Phish
UCTS
2004-07-11 16:31:14 UTC
i bet some of ya have seen this already, but this is a good way to say hey
to everyone and Phish breaking up is sad, but at least it brought us
together in some way. Cheers everyone!

Congress Pays Tribute to Phish (from RELIX)
2004-07-09 12:47:46

Vermont Senator Patrick J. Leahy entered Phish into the congressional record
yesterday, paying tribute to the Vermont-bred quartet a month before their
final performance.
Addressing President pro tempore Ted Stevens, Leahy said, "We in Vermont are
well known for our superb maple syrup, our wonderful ice cream, our
award-winning cheese and our beautiful scenery, but after 21 remarkable
years, the jam band Phish has certainly become one of our most famous
exports."
After giving his fellow congressmen a brief synopsis of Phish's lifespan,
Mr. Leahy offered his thanks to Phish for 21 years of music making. "Their
admirable generosity has fostered a sense of community among those who
follow the group," Leahy said. "The band's break-up is a source of sadness
to all of us who know and love them."
Follow his speech, Mr. Leahy offered a congressional thanks to the Vermont
quartet: "I am grateful for all they have done for Vermont, for American
music, and for their fans. Most importantly, we sincerely appreciate their
authenticity, their enthusiasm and their generosity"
In an odd twist, Mr. Leahy concluded his speech by reciting a few lines from
"Down with Disease," a track which appears on Phish's Hoist .

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way.
But when I think it's time to leave it all behind,
I try to find a way, but there's nothing I can say to make it stop.

Senator Leahy was elected to the United States Senate in 1974 and remains
the only Democrat elected to this office from Vermont. He was also the
youngest Senator elected from the state and is now serving his fifth term.
Currently located in Burlington, VT, Leahy first entered Phish into the
Congressional Record on December 1, 1994, congratulating them for their
success and saying that they "have a live performance that is hard to
forget." A complete transcript of Leahy's speech is available at the
Congressional Record.

Inviato via http://arianna.libero.it/usenet/
i***@departedharvest.com
2014-01-29 16:50:50 UTC